Thursday, March 24, 2005

Thoughts of What Once Was

About a week ago I received a beautiful present. Two daffodils. Such beauty, so bright and alive. I placed them in a vase, properly watered them and exposed them to light. Yet, a week later they wilt and die. But one should not be sad at the prospect of their flowery demise. My daffys brightened my mornings and gave me cause to smile after a rough day. Although I cared for them as best I could, they were not made to be forever. They were placed before me for that brief moment in life so that I could relish the beauty of nature.

As of this writing, the Terri Shiavo case is at an end. The years of litigation in the courts of Florida are over. The case has traveled through the federal system as if the speed of light stood still. Politicians toyed with the issue like a cat with a mouse. Religious dogma found its way into a secular state. The moral character of those involved were questioned. The whores of legal analysis stood fast in their spin on the controversy. Judges were barbaric and tyrannical akin to the killers of the family pet. The opinions of learned Doctors of Medicine differed.

What amazes me most of all the hoopla is the speed of the judicial system. Criminal and civil cases languish in their prospective dockets, yet this case rocketed to the highest court in less than a week. Does the blindfold of lady justice slip a bit when the case is high profile and of a burning issue? Should all cases not receive the same attention?

My daffodils are dying and its time for me to let go. Yet, I will remember their importance in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home