Tuesday, August 29, 2006

To Doctor or Not

I don't like Doctors. For the most part they are condescending and carry an ego the size of the Rocky Mountains. In my hierarchy of likes I rank them just above lawyers and far below cops and students of higher education. Certain Directors of Development rank in the top three.

But as I ascend into my golden years, my need for medical advice triggers a mandate to cast aside my bias. And so with the reluctance of a swimmer posed with the dilemma of crossing a pool full of alligators, I scheduled my much put off colonoscopy.

The truth is the preparation day is the worst part of the ordeal. The liquid diet, atrocious tasting laxatives, constant interruptions for the eruptions all make for a quite unpleasant day. The actual day of the procedure is quite anti-climatic and really most serene. The last thing I remembered before the procedure was the nurse telling me that she was ready to push the sedative and then another nurse placing me in the fetal position. I entered a state of euphoria and the next I knew I was in the recovery room demanding a Twinkie and asking what time it was. Repeatedly.

Two small polyps were removed during the procedure and by Thursday I will know the results as to whether they were benign or precancerous, But the removal of precancerous polyps prevents the formation of cancerous cells from these polyps. So all in all it was a wise decision on my part to go ahead with the exam.

Sometimes you must set aside your bias.

If you have put the procedure off for whatever reason, rethink your position. Might save your life and the Dr. even prescribed the Twinkie I demanded

1 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

And oh my goodness did you demand the twinkie!! I'm thankful he said yes....who knows what you would have done had he said no!!

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home