Thursday, February 28, 2008

Bill Buckley Remembered

It was Wednesday, February 27, 2008 and we lost an icon in the field of political commentary, writing and TV talk show host. Not to mention just an all around good guy. William F Buckley, Jr. died at the age of 82.

I remember reading his columns and watching “Firing Line” and thinking how I one day would love to write as he wrote, speak as he spoke and zing his opponents as he did. His words could make a pile of elephant dung take on the delicate scent of a bed of roses. Hasn’t happened as of yet for me, but maybe by the time I grow up, I might end up on the same continent.

We shared the same political convictions once, but over the years my thoughts changed . He was loved and hated by both his conservative friends and foes as well as the liberal counterparts. And the lesson I learned from him was to take aim at your target and let the truth be told. If your friend is wrong, say so. If your enemy is right, give credit.

And a man who favored peanut butter so couldn’t be bad. Bill, you are gone, but won’t soon be forgotten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home