Monday, January 12, 2009

The Cabin

I find that I can no longer easily tolerate these changes in temperature. I leave for work and the temperature is sufferable, but by the time I arrive the wind has picked up and it feels as if the thermometer has bottomed out. I know that is not quite the case, but I can feel a marked difference. Then there are those warm sunny days that turn into bone chilling nights. So, my plans for camping out on a wintry night have been put on the back burner and I’ll wait until the springtime to pitch a tent. Hopefully this year won’t be as wet as the last.

But this past Saturday, I was treated by my friend to a modified form of camping. A little cabin in the woods complete with a gigantic stone fireplace for an indoor campfire. A perfect setting to erase all thoughts of the hustle and bustle of the daily rat race. That night the campfire glowed bright and the only sound heard was the crackling of the fire.

A beautiful quiet night with the full moon hanging in the sky and the earth awash in it’s brilliant light. Twice during the night, I awoke to gaze out the window into the forest. How serene the setting. The shadows of the trees against the ground. All was quiet and calm. No cars, trains or planes to disturb my thoughts. If any of the forest inhabitants were awake, they were not causing a commotion this night. Like me, they were probably giving thanks to their Creator for the beauty of it all.

While I may have been in a trance with the beauty of it all, the night caused me to reflect on the past and give thought to the future. Secret thoughts that for this time must remain deep inside for permitting them to escape my lips might cause me to be misunderstood. How I wish the night would have never come to an end, although in my spirit it will remain forever. I could spend the rest of my life in that cabin near the forest.

Sunday was warm and sunny, but as the day ended and the sun fell from the sky I felt an uncomfortable chill again come across my body . Now I realize that it isn't so much the weather as it is me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home