Friday, December 02, 2005

The Christmas Tree Was Mulched

I work for a fairly large company with units from California to Florida. Like all companies of this size, they worry about public image. These companies establish guidelines to exhibit a heightened sensitivity to the wants and needs of all who may pass through their doors or utilize their services. Lawyers and Human Resource gurus drive to the edge of paranoia to communicate the worst case scenario to avoid conflict.

A directive came down from the suits in corporate forbidding the placement of holiday decorations in the store, i.e. Christmas/Holiday trees. The company feared retribution from various religious sects for offending their beliefs by displaying these items. Our store displayed a small tree in the corner of the lobby. No ornaments, no lights, no nothing. Just a plain old simple tree. A complaint was lodged. The tree is history and we have been instructed not to discuss the matter with any of the guests who wonder what happened to the tree. It is difficult, if not impossible, for me to relinquish my right to speak when I have a perfectly good soap box to stand upon.

God knows I am not a religious person. I do pray to Him and give Him thanks, but I also damn a few people in His name. But there are displays that are considered to be religious in nature and some to be purely secular. A nativity scene is religious, a snowman is not. A crèche under a Christmas tree is religious, an undecorated tree is not. The tree is a tradition. A tradition associated with a National holiday. It has a meaning singular to the observer. The tree adorned with some lights, tinsels and ornaments hand made by the kids holds no religious meaning. If my grandfather and father had owned hardware shops and decorated a step ladder with paint cans, tools, nuts and bolts and exhibited same in their stores and homes at Christmas time, would it not be the same?

I was discussing this issue with a friend of mine last night. Those of you in blogworld know her as Citywmn. ( http://citywmn.blogspot.com ) Very insightful and intelligent young woman. She eloquently verbalized my thoughts before I could speak. (She expresses the thought better than I) To paraphrase: The objective of diversity is to demonstrate tolerance for the diverse views of others. It is morally repugnant to deny another service or quality of life based upon a bias toward race, color, creed, religion or gender. It is equally abhorrent to advocate ones own convictions at the expense of others.

I ma going to put up my tree and then polish up my resume.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home