Monday, February 09, 2009

Punch, Cookies and Law Enforcement

A beautiful Sunday morning in the neighborhood. I was busy at work making candles for the orders I received during the week. I sat at the kitchen table preparing another candle mold when I decided to open the curtains and let the sun shine in. As I looked out the big picture window of my apartment, I was shocked to see a rather strange looking large white truck with the markings of the St. Louis County Police Explosive Unit and an officer with his K-9 companion strolling the grounds around the complex. I knew immediately that some neighbor had mistaken the scent of burning wax and the fragrance of jasmine and lavender for a meth lab and dropped a dime on me to the “man.”

Seven marked police cars were parked on the lot and I knew that a few were of the Tactical Operations Unit or in TV/Movie genre - SWAT. I had visions of the armed warriors donned in their black uniforms, bulletproof vests, helmets and masks. rushing up the steps , breaking through the door, yelling , screaming a la Jack Bauer, stun grenades, mace, tasers, my face buried in the carpet and handcuffs being hastily, violently applied to my wrists.

Then my thoughts turned to a more comedy of errors variety. A Keystone Cops episode, so to speak. Molly, the K-9 cop, hurried up the stairs with her handler and as she reached the door and sniffing those calming aromatic candle fragrances, rolled over on her back with her legs in the air, whimpering, almost begging, “rub my tummy.” Her Master pleading. “Come on, Molly. Get up. You have mauled people.” Yet, Molly was in a trance, blocking the entrance to the nefarious criminal’s apartment.

I didn’t witness any turmoil, panic in the quiet neighborhood as I gazed out my window. People were smiling and waving at one another as they walked to the complex clubhouse. Then it dawned on me; a sign at the entrance to the subdivision that I had seen earlier that morning as I drove home. Our little city had recently disbanded it’s Department of Constables in favor of the more professional County Department. The Punch and Cookies affair was to be held today and all the trimmings of the newly appointed law enforcement agency were on display. We graduated from a well touted speed trap with what was considered to be a rag tag police department to a town well equipped with the technology of today‘s modern law enforcement organization. Or did we?

Prior to the official take over, February 1, 2009, I remember seeing the cops of the rag tag department on patrol at all times of day and night. Yes, they ran their radar up and down the main drag, but there was always a presence on patrol. Except for the community relations feat this Sunday, I have yet to see an officer of the new command on the beat, where the business is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home