Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Unsafe Streets

My day starts very early usually at 3:30 - 4:00 A.M. I douse my body with a caffeine substance, then shower , dress and gather together all the trinkets necessary to perform my daily duties. I used to take the Interstate in my travel to work and although the traffic was light at that time of the morning, many of those out and about were traveling at warp speed without care or consideration for their fellow motorists or were speed balling truck drivers attempting to make up for lost time. An accident on the near empty highway resulted in a parking lot style jam in between suitable exits. Besides, my valiant steed is showing it’s age and simply won’t respond as it once did.

So, I decided that an earlier departure, say 15 minutes, taking the secondary routes around town would be the more practical means of travel. But I discovered that the early morning darkness and dimly lighted streets produced a different hazard. Joggers.

Joggers are not normal human beings that are seen at the supermarket, mall or sporting event. They play at their sport at all hours of the day or night, all weather conditions and any terrain their Nikes’ will withstand. Those learning from experience wear blinking lights, reflective tape and seek the safety of the sidewalk. The less experienced - bold and arrogant - jog in the roadway wearing clothing suitable only for a Halloween bash. They appear out of nowhere causing drivers to test reaction timing.

Yet, joggers are not the only danger lurking in the dark. This morning in a fairly urban setting, I caught a glimpse of a figure along side the road from the corner of my eye. Suddenly Jane the Doe was trotting out in front of me much like the chicken crossing the road to get to the other side. I narrowly missed bagging the sauntering trophy with my left front fender coming within a foot and a half of her rear end. This wasn’t Town and Country and there were no deer crossing signs posted anywhere.

When people say the streets aren’t safe any more, I agree. Gun toting gangsters aren’t the only problem we face, though. Yet, we disregard speed limits and distract ourselves with cell phones thinking that a quiet street poses no great dilemma.

Let’s be careful out there. Anything can happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home